Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Saturday in SoCal

Hola Yinz,

It's tough being a fan of the Steel City in Southern California. The Pens are almost never televised, nor is any other hockey team. (ps. We don't have Verses either.) So last Saturday I made the journey to Los Angeles to see the Kings and the Bruins. Yes, I was desperate for some hockey. I was stumped as to who to root for, so I donned my Pens gear and yelled "LETS GO PENS!"


This Sunday is monumental; the Pens and the Flyers go at it 12:30et (9:30 here), and I get to see it! Thank you NBC!

So, in tribute to actually getting to watch a game, here is your trivia for the week. Pittsburgh is home to the first major indoor sports arena with a retractable roof. I bet you can't guess what it is!


The Civic Arena, or more affectionately known as the Igloo. It opened in 1961 and was originally home to the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. It became home to the Penguins in 1967 and is the the oldest arena in the NHL. The Igloo has a seating capacity of 17,800; the smallest in the NHL. It also contains 2,950 tons of Pittsburgh Steel! Don't forget it had a starring role along side Jean Claude Van Damme in 1995 in the movie Sudden Death.


Happy Saturday Yinz!

Eat Pierogies and Watch the PENS!

Labuda on the Left Coast

1 comment:

MSM said...

Your best post yet-enjoy the pens game today! see you thursday!